A smile goes a long way. But to a few, smiling is a burden, due to having lost a tooth or having a gap between two teeth. Many people feel self-conscious with the loss of a tooth or teeth, and the gap prevents them from smiling openly. Have you lost a tooth and want to replace it? Are you looking for a way to secure your dental hardware, such as bridges? Implant dentistry may be for you.
Complete Dental Implant Treatment for Replacing One or More Teeth
Dental implants are like artificial tooth roots, shaped like screws. They are small metal posts that are surgically positioned into your jaw bone beneath the gum line. They bond with the natural bone and become a sturdy base. These posts act as artificial ‘tooth roots’ to mount replacement teeth or bridges and will hold your prosthetic tooth or dental work in place. Dental implants do not come loose like a denture and do not have to be anchored to other teeth, like bridges. They provide stable support for artificial teeth and feel more natural. They allow you to live the way you want, confidently, smiling, laughing, eating and talking without feeling insecure.
What Can be Supported by Dental Implants?
Dental implants have several benefits. They are the most reliable devices to support replacement teeth. They also allow the new teeth to look, feel and function naturally. Their secure fit also helps the dentures, bridges, and crowns to be placed over implants.
- Dental Crown – Dental crowns are also known as dental caps. A dental crown completely caps or encircles a tooth to restore its shape, size, strength and improve its appearance. It is used if you have a large cavity that threatens the overall health of your tooth or to protect a weak tooth. It can also be used to restore a broken or worn out tooth. Dental cement is used to bond the cap with your tooth or dental implant. If you are looking to replace just one missing tooth, you may elect to do a single tooth implant.
- Dental Bridge – A dental bridge is a false tooth that is held in place by the support teeth on either side of the gap. You can support a dental bridge using implants. This is ideal when you are missing three or more teeth. An implant-supported bridge is a group of teeth secured by dental implants. One implant is placed in the jawbone for each missing tooth. The crowns are connected to each other to form one piece.
- Other Prosthetics – Other prosthetics supported by dental implants include dentures, a type of dental prosthesis which is not permanently fixed in place. Dentures can be removed from the implant support with finger pressure.
What Types of Implants are Available?
- An Endosteal, or traditional implant, is made of titanium and shaped like a small screw. It is surgically placed in the jawbone and serves as an artificial tooth root. It is the most commonly used type of implant.
- Single Implants are usually placed when the patient has lost a single tooth. This can occur as the result of an accident or some other factor. Here a single implant is inserted where the tooth is missing. Full appearance and functionality are restored.
- Multiple Implants are used when you suffer from multiple missing teeth. Unlike removable dentures, implants are permanently fixed and perform like natural teeth.
- All-On-Four are used to permanently replace all your teeth on a single arch. With this type of dental implant, there are no restrictions on eating any type of food. This treatment option also tends to be the most cost-effective for patients.
At Smilebar by the Matthews Dentist, we place and restore both all types of dental implants.
What is the Difference Between Place and Restore?
- Place – When we place a dental implant, we create the dental prosthetic that will be supported by the implant. To place the dental implant, a small cut is made to open your gum and expose the bone. Holes are drilled into the bone to allow the implant metal post to be placed.
- Restore – When we restore a dental implant, we work with the existing dental work. Sometimes we must replace some portion of it, including the abutment. If you already have implants and need them looked at, we are here for you!
Why Get Implants?
Ask About Implants Today!
Dental implants can change your life. They change how you look and feel about yourself and your teeth and are a smart choice for anyone in need of dental restoration. Implant dentistry is a great option if you:
- Want restorations that last a long time. Implants can last a lifetime when you take good care of them.
- Want dental work that looks like natural teeth.
- Want restorations that are easy to clean and maintain.
- Want to eat freely without worry of food getting under your dental work.
Dental implants can help you live your life with confidence. They protect the facial bones and prevent jaw bone deterioration that can be caused by the empty space after losing a tooth. A dental implant is the only dental restoration option that preserves natural bone and helps to stimulate bone growth. It is the safest and the most predictable procedure in cosmetic dentistry.
At Smilebar by the Matthews Dentist, our doctors understand the difference dental implants can make in your day-to-day life. We can help you live a life without insecurities about your smile. Allow us to use our years of experience to give you a smile you have been dreaming of. Call us for an appointment!